How to Volunteer
KU is run exclusively by volunteers. We welcome everyone to join to help make football a great experience for the kids! Contact Tom Shrader to find out how you can help.
KU Flag Volunteer Form and Background Checks
The following volunteers must complete the required background checks defined below: Coaches, Directors, Board of Directors members and any other persons, volunteers or hired workers, who provide regular service to the league and/or have repetitive access to, or contact with players. All Volunteer Applications are strictly confidential. A "New Volunteer" or "Returning Volunteer" form must be submitted every year as well. The league "Volunteer" form as well as all PA State Background Checks must be performed and submitted before the start of the season.
New Volunteer Form - (Download Here)
Returning Volunteer Form - (Download Here)
The completed forms may be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*PA Background Checks are good for 3 years, new checks and submissions must be done every 3 years, no exceptions.
PA State Background Checks
PA Act 153 of 2014, which was amended on July 1, 2015 by PA Act 15 of 2015, requires very specific background checks for volunteers of youth serving organizations.
All volunteers are required to complete the following and provide copies to KU prior to each season:
1) Report of criminal history from the Pennsylvania State Police (PSP) at no cost (Volunteer Only) https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp
2) Child Abuse History Clearance from the Department of Human Services no cost (Create Individual Account) https://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS
3) Fingerprint based FBI criminal history clearance submitted through the Department of Human Services cost-$25.75 for volunteers that have not been PA residents for the past 10 years www.pa.cogentid.com/index_dpw.htm
- OR -
A signed affidavit of residency (Download Here) if you have been a PA resident for 10 or more years.
These clearances are standard throughout PA and required for organizations like school volunteers, Scouting, and other youth groups. The clearances are transferable so only copies need to be provided if you've gotten them for any other organization. The reports only display that the volunteer is allowed to work with youth. These clearances need to be renewed and submitted every three years.
More information can be found at http://keepkidssafe.pa.gov/resources/clearances/index.htm For any other questions, please contact Tom Shrader.
Clearances can be downloaded or scanned, then emailed to email@example.com.
Any felony or misdemeanor convictions of the below charges (for the time table listed for each below) will result in a Failure.
For the last seven years the following will include (based on national average):
- Any Convictions of Violence
- Drug Possession Charges
- Drug Sales/Distribution/Manufacturing
- Driving While Under The Influence, Intoxicated, or While Impaired (report three year scope)
Any conviction without time table, and automatically results in failure, will include:
- Child Abuse/Molestation/Sex Offender/Child Neglect
- Any criminal offense that may involve children (Example: DUI with children in car)
- Weapons Violation